All a lie

This is the time of the year that we all agree to live the same lie. Well, rx I don’t know that we agree to it, per se, as much as the lie is forced on us by the government.

No, I’m not talking about tax season, although that might be an interesting discussion. No, instead, I’m talking about daylight savings.

Last weekend was the time where much of the United States changes their collective clocks forward an hour. Somebody told me it was in an effort to conserve energy. Whatever.

You know, my body knows its a lie. When the alarm clock started blaring at 6AM (really 5AM, but since we’re all going along with the government on this one, we’ll just use DST times, instead of standard, or, um, REAL times) this morning, my body refused to wake up and get going. Nope. I couldn’t get up a minute before 7:30. It just wasn’t possible. Then I felt bad for sleeping in. Like its MY fault?? 🙂

I sound really bitter, which isn’t true at all. In fact, I prefer daylight savings time to standard time. I just don’t like the SWITCH from standard to DST. It seriously takes me a week to fully adjust. It’s like jet lag without leaving home.

In any case, we’ll keep living the lie so we can have more hours of daylight in the evening, which will conserve energy, which will save the rainforests, effectually saving the world and making you a hero.

New party line: “Save the world. Support DST.”

Like I said. It’s all a lie.

9 Responses to All a lie

1. Katrina April 3, 2006 at 6:33 pm #

I HATE daylight savings time. I just think it’s absolutely pointless. I honestly don’t see that it does that much to save energy or make us better, happier people in any way whatsoever. *sigh* Things that frustrate me about modern society. 🙂

2. trixie April 3, 2006 at 7:19 pm #

What I understand about daylight savings is that its like cutting off two inches from the bottom of your blanket and then sewing the two inches on top to keep warm!! Oh well.

3. Dave April 3, 2006 at 9:15 pm #

If I may attempt to educate the masses…

DST is actually proven to be highly beneficial for the economy in two distinct ways.

1. It encourages consumer activities in the evenings.
    2. It reduces energy consumption.

To see why, take a simple look at your habits and your life. When do you wake up in the morning? Seven is probably a pretty solid number for your average person. By using DST, we move time when the sun is up to time when you are up. Without DST, the sun would come up as early as 3:00 to 5:00 in the morning or, for me (Alaska) as early as midnight, and set again about 7:00 to 9:00. Now, how many of us out there in Blogland keep those kinds of hours? Um… looks like two hands. Good. So by moving the clock ahead, we push the daylight hours to time when you are awake. Now you don’t need indoor lights for almost the entire time you are awake instead of an hour less. How much energy does one hour of 300 million Americans not needing indoor lights save? Take a guess. You’d be surprised. And remember that that is stretched across the globe since the vast majority of the world follows DST.

As for consumer encouragement, it is also proven that we are more active in daylight than at night. Some estimates (sorry I don’t remember where I saw it) put the extra revenue from daylight shopping in the range of, well, several billion dollars. Of course, that isn’t to say that people wouldn’t necessarily spend that much money anyway, but it is proven that we are more commercially active when the sun is up, so why not provide an extra hour for all that.

So, while the hour change may be inconvenient and annoying to some (I always get a big headache because my body tries to fight it), it serves an extremely useful and valuable service to the economy, to the environment, and even you.

I’ve heard the two inches off the bottom being sewn onto the top argument before, and while it makes sense mathematically, you have to remember that in this case, not all “inches” are created equal. Those daylight inches are worth a foot of those nighttime inches.

And as far as “modern” life goes, DST was originally suggested by Benjamin Franklin to help farmers and save oil in the street lamps. Ben Franklin and oil in street lamps don’t exactly denote “modern” to me, but oh well. I guess if you consider that the implementation of DST is only last century, we could stick it into Modern. And it’s such a trivial thing we compared to other Modern “conveniences” such as cell phones that have those ear pieces so you never have to be disconnected. And have you noticed that they have a little light on them? I’ve always wondered why, because the user would never actually be able to see the light. Can anyone say… Pride? Keeping up with the Joneses? Look what I have?

Now that is annoying.

4. paul April 4, 2006 at 10:24 am #

Interesting comments.

So Dave, where/how was it proven? Any statistics to back up the claim?

The Wikipedia article on DST includes the following criticism:

There is also a question whether the decrease in lighting costs justifies the increase in summertime air conditioning costs. While many people use more sunlight under DST, most people also experience more heat, which prompts many people to turn on the air conditioner during the warmer afternoon hours. When air conditioning was not widely available, the change did save energy; however, air conditioning is much more widespread now than it was several decades ago. Air conditioning often uses more energy than artificial lighting. It was for this reason that Arizona rejected DST and opted to stay on standard time all year.

It is also speculated that one of the benefits—more afternoon sun—would also actually increase energy consumption as people get into their cars to enjoy more time for shopping and the like.

No formal studies have been performed, but an enormous amount of time has been spent by software developers to deal with the fact that 2400 hours past 2pm is not necessarily 2pm 100 days later. […]

5. Dave April 4, 2006 at 4:46 pm #

As you may note, I did mention that I didn’t remember where I saw those stats. Besides, to be frank, I think a simple analysis of your own habits will prove the long-held believe that DST does indeed save energy. Consult your history books if you want details. I’m sure you’ll find plenty of information there.

As for me, I couldn’t care less. I rather enjoy DST.

6. democritus March 5, 2007 at 1:47 am #

A lie is a lie is a lie. DST saves nothing, else the govt. would be quick to release numbers about the many benefits, rather than touting vague, and questionable citations of “energy savings.”

I’m sick of govt meddling in every aspect of our lives and the last thing I want is even more of it. I also intensely dislike the puritanist ditto-heads who blindly agree with anything that the government tells them to do. These are the ones who’ll readily put the gas in the showers when they’re told to.

There is simply no need for this law, and there is no clear reason for congress to force it upon states like Arizona. Neither is there good reason for pressing it upon the rest of the world with our Security Council votes in the UN. That’s where the “the rest of the world does it” rationale comes from, which is circular logic because the rest of the world didn’t vote on this and ask for it either. It’s forced.

Like many things, the people who jump on these bandwagons have no effin idea what they are cheerleading on behalf of, and all too often they are quite willing to throw freedom to the dogs in order to be viewed as patriotic and obedient. Dogs is what they are, blindly obedient, hand-licking servants to the upper class corruption, hoping desperately for a bone.

Franklin had words for such people, ending with “deserve neither freedom nor safety.”

Thanks for maintaining the new dark ages.

7. Payday advance online February 10, 2009 at 12:37 pm #

I actually look forward to daylight savings, I love it in the summer when it is still light outside at 9:00 pm. I hate in the fall that at 5:00 pm it is dark outside and it makes me feel like I need to go to bed!!!!

8. Maria March 2, 2009 at 12:34 pm #

I would like to know if anyone else has noticed, that even with the 3 week adjustment of DST, that the sun is not in the right spot ???? I know some people will think I’m nuts and others will not have noticed anything at all, but the sun is in a different spot. I believe the Earth’s Axis is different (more than the usual seasonal thing). I think that instead of telling us the truth about the shift and scaring the crap out of people, they tried to adjust the DST to cover it up. I hope someone else out there has noticed this.

• paul March 25, 2009 at 2:28 pm #

An interesting question. However, the sun seems to be in the same spot, from my perspective. I have a narrow slice of window near my cube at work, and the sun comes up right between the window sill and the cube wall. Even with the time shift this year, the sun still rises in the same spot as last month (as far as I can tell) … just an hour later.