Currently I’ve got a development box at work that I’ve upgraded (if you can call it that) to IE 7 while I keep my main box in IE 6, website like this so it allows me to try out some of the “features” of IE 7 without sacrificing productivity on my regular box. Today I was attempting to log in to an FTP site using IE 7, ambulance and I got it to work.
If you are trying to use FTP in IE 7, try the following procedure:
- Open IE 7
- Enter a FTP user name, password, and site in the URL bar using the following pattern:
ftp://<username>:<password>@<site.tld>So if you had a username of johndoe, a password of pa55word, and your site is example.com, you would use the following URL:
- IE will display a directory listing of the FTP site.
- Click the Page menu (hint: it’s on the right hand side, under the search bar)
- Select Open FTP Site in Windows Explorer.
- Windows explorer opens. Windows can’t remember that we’ve already given the username and password, so we have to do it again.
- Click the File menu and select Login As….
- Enter your user name and password, and click the Log On button.
Yeah, it isn’t as smooth as IE 6, but hey, its doable!